Trailblazer Health Enterprise, Dallas, TX (March 2007 to October 2012)
- Audited the hospital’s filed cost accounting report to ensure compliance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and government guidelines and regulations (Medicare)
- Performed variance and trend analysis for the revenue and expense numbers listed on the financial statements of the client providers.
- Reconciled the hospital’s providers submitted financial statements to the general ledger.
- Audited and tested journals, purchase orders, invoices, payroll, fixed assets, square footage, statistics, organ acquisitions, bad debts, statements, medical records, physician logs, rotation schedules, etc.
- Researched and verified hospital licenses, invoices, statements, third party payments, bad debt logs, time studies, organ acquisitions, Organ Procurement Organization (OPO), etc.
- Reviewed and interpreted hospital contracts, policies and procedures
- Reconciled the hospital’s filed health claims to the allowed amount consistent with CMS guidelines.
- Prepared journal entries as needed.
- Maintained complete confidentiality of company related business and information submitted by the hospital providers and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Used Excel (Vlookup), Access, and internal database system to check for duplication of entries, eligibility, etc. for audit, tracking and reporting purposes
- Used Excel (pivot tables) to verify claims reported on the cost report are allowable
- Reported and explained audit findings to internal and external staff (CFO’s, CEO’s, CPA’s, Directors of Accounting, Internal Auditors, Consultants, Business Office staff, peers and various levels of management) at entrance and exit conferences and during the audit
- Achieved optimum reimbursement results while meeting CMS deadlines
- Tested and made recommendations to improve the audit program to the development of risk-based audit plans
- Trained and assisted new auditors
Dallas County, Dallas, TX (2001 to 2006)
Internal Auditor II
- Performed reconciliation of control ledgers between County Auditor’s official General Ledger and records maintained by various County Offices.
- Processed journal entries monthly
- Compiled and updated the Budget Funds Available Report spreadsheet
- Examined records of various Dallas County departments and performed tests as outlined in standard audit programs to verify compliance with applicable laws, County policies and procedures, grant guidelines and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Prepared draft of formal audit reports and exit conferences based on findings.
- Tested for internal control weaknesses in various County offices and made recommendations for improving controls to safeguard assets of Dallas County.
- Assisted in preparing ad hoc and annual compliance reports.
- Performed physical count of cash and inventory of District Clerk and County Clerk offices assets.
- Modified existing Unpaid Filing Fees Report to discontinue hard copy and provided an electronic version.
Bank of America, Dallas, TX (1998 to 2000)
- Responsible for compiling, reviewing and reporting financial and statistical data from monthly management and auditing reports
- Generated and provided monthly reports to management on Global Wealth and Investment Management from tracking of Losses and Recoveries nationwide
- Maintained Record Retention for Asset Management Services division.
- Escheated securities to various states that were unknown to the bank
Bachelor’s of Science in Business Control Systems – University of North Texas, Denton, TX